Thursday, July 5, 2012

Arrival: Worcester College, Oxford

     Well, after a VERY long day of traveling, we finally made it to London about 7:30am and we pulled into Oxford around 10. I was unable to sleep on the airplane but read almost all of my book! The professors that accompanied us suggested that we not sleep until bedtime, so needless to say, I'm pretty exhausted. However, just being here is worth it!
    Once we unload from the bus, we were given our room keys and told to meet back at 3 for orientation. I promptly dropped my bags off in my room and left to go get food, supplies, anything. We walked down the street for several blocks until we found a pharmacy, and I was able to get shampoo, soap and other essentials. After dropping those things off, we set out in the other directions to find food and/or a pub. We also stopped by Boots, which is a Walgreens on steroids. I found a hairdryer so I fill all set!
    Orientation was nice. We were given a tour of the grounds, and they are breathtaking. Everything here is so green! I can't wait for a free afternoon to go exploring. We also split into groups and our professors took us on a walking tour of Oxford. I really appreciated this because we were able to get the main layout of the city. I now fill like I can successfully navigate off of those main streets. The professor that led my tour is the honors courses teacher so we were given lots of interesting side notes along the way. She also takes her classes out on walks and to museums, but she allows any others students to join too. I will definitely be taking advantage of those opportunities! While on our tour, we also learned where to get cash, exchange money, buy groceries, etc...I feel so much more prepared now. I also found some Digestives-the single best cookie in the world! They are a wafer cookie coated in the chocolate.
    We ate dinner as a group around 8 then dispersed to do our own things. My exhaustion has hit a breaking point, and I still have to read 10% of my book so I've called it a night. We also have class in the morning at 8:30 so I feel no shame is hitting the sack. I'm  know others have gone to the pubs but seriously, I have no energy left to spend outside of this dorm.
    Speaking of this dorm....my room is great! We are so lucky that each of us get our own room AND bathroom! It is really great to have my own personal space to come back to. I've gotten unpacked and settled, too!
View of my room from the door. There is a lot of closet space
to the left.

My bed and the door to the bathroom. 

The left view from my window!

The right view from my window!
     As you can see, my room is quite cozy. It's a bit weird for the bathroom to be in the room, but stranger still that the shower, toilet and sink are all one area...BUT I can't complain about a private bathroom! As you can see from the picture, it is...well was...still light outside. Those pictures were taken around 9-9:15. The sun didn't go down until after 9:30. I guess that's just one more thing to get used to! I can open my window about 3 inches so it is nice to hear the city sounds. I am really and truly in love with every part of this so far!

2 comments: