Sunday, July 22, 2012

Penshurst Place

     We left Oxford bright and early at 8:00am for Canterbury. However, before going to Canterbury, we stopped at Penshurt Place and Gardens. It is a lovely house that was once owned by Henry VIII. Some parts of it were built in 1341! We arrived there before the house opened to the public so we were given a tour without anyone else there. They don't do restoration there so all of the furniture that we saw was original and how it was when in was used centuries ago. I know that I have mentioned my amazement at the history and age of things in the UK. This was truly incredible and so hard to wrap my brain around. My idea of "old" is expanding daily while over here. 
     The house is owned and lived in by the same family that inherited it from Henry VIII. They allow tours (and weddings!) through the oldest parts of the house and live in the newer parts. Our tour guide was telling us that this house receives no government funding, so this is solely operated by the family because they want people to see this magnificent house and gardens. Also, it is a VERY big house so having the extra income from paid tours probably helps pay the power bill. Whatever the motive, the UK is very lucky to have such a wonderful piece of history so well cared for! 
     After the tour completed, we had a couple of hours to walk through the gardens, get food, and be back at the bus. I, of course, spent most of my time in the gardens. The gardens had over 20 "rooms" of various themes and plant types. One was full of roses, one was an apple orchard, one was only white flowers, and so on. Every room was absolutely gorgeous and so well tended to. It is obviously a full time job for several people to tend this garden. I think I walked through the whole garden 2 or 3 times! I just loved it! Penshurst was a wonderful house to tour and a great way to spent the morning!

The backside of Penshurst Place

Overlooking part of the gardens


This garden is in the shape of the Union Jack, Britain's flag!

My favorite view!

Marie. Her brother, Steve, went to Cuba with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment