Thursday, July 26, 2012

Graveley: Going Back to My Roots

     Last Tuesday I went the small town of Graveley because it is the town village where my ancestors are from. From what I understand, they are on my mom's side of the family in Berry, the Gravley's. Get it, Graveley.....Gravley? It was quite the adventure. I had to catch a train to London at Paddington Station, use the Underground to go to King's Cross Station, then catch another train to Stevenage, the closet town to Graveley. This was quite the adventure. Along the way in the Underground, a Welsh girl around my age asked me for help. I was so proud that I, the American, was able to navigate the Underground well enough to get a British citizen through! 
     I had to take a taxi from Stevenage to Graveley, because there is no train station in Graveley. Luckily, it is only 3 miles away! My taxi driver was super nice and took me through the entire town. Ironically, this was a lot like Berry in that it doesn't take long to see the whole town. My Uncle Macon was the one who informed me of this town, and he also told me to go to the church. Apparently, the old family homestead and barn were once located there. There was a very old homestead and barn there but I don't want to jump to conclusions about whether it is ours or not. 
      There was something very powerful about visiting the place that I knew my family was from. I couldn't help but imagine what it was like for them to live there. The whole experience was overwhelming and amazing. I'm so glad that I got to the opportunity to visit. It is definitely a highlight of my trip!
The sign welcoming you to Graveley

One of two pubs

The second pub

The old stables and barn next to St. Mary's Church

One of the old homesteads

A home, I'm assuming the parsonage and the church

Full view of St. Mary's

St. Mary's and the graveyard



Another old homestead nearby. The cornerstone date was in the 18th century

Town Hall
     On my way back home, I had to go back through London so I contacted Toby and Aamayna to get dinner since I would already be there. Aamayna met me at the train station, and we walked along the river to meet Toby. It was such a pleasant evening!




No comments:

Post a Comment