Sunday, July 22, 2012

Canterbury Revisited

     When Stella, Anna, and I visited Houston in England three years ago, we spent a few nights in Canterbury. It was so nice because this town is a great change of pace from London. Houston was studying at Kent University, a college in town. We got to do Thanksgiving while we were there. We were so proud because we cooked Thanksgiving meal ourselves! I have some great memories from that part of our trip. This is why I was so excited when I found out we would be taking a group trip to Canterbury!
     We arrived Friday afternoon (after Penshurst Place) and had the rest of the evening to walk around and see Canterbury. I texted Houston and she gave me a very complete list of good places to go that night. We had about 2 hours from the time we checked into our very nice hotel until we had to be back for dinner at the hotel. A group of us decided to walk around, orient ourselves with the town and find all the places that Houston suggested. It took some exploring, but we finally found the places we were looking for! Also, we saw the bed and breakfast where Anna, Stella and I stayed! I just had the greatest time remembering that trip!
     We stayed in the Falstaff Hotel, and it was absolutely lovely. Emma and I shared a room. This may sound so silly, but I was so excited about the bathroom. I say this because in Oxford, our showers are one with our bathroom. No separation, just a curtain. This bathroom had a bathtub! We actually got to stand in a specified area for showering. What can I say? It's the little things that make me happy. All of that aside, I was super happy to be back in my bed (and my shower!) last night! Back to Canterbury. We had a wonderful meal at the hotel. A week or so ago, everyone was given a 2 options for each course to choose from. It was all very fancy. I chose the breaded mushrooms for an appetizer, baked chicken with herbs and potatoes and peas for dinner, and rice pudding for dessert. I was a big fan of everything...but the rice pudding. There was something about that textures and consistency that threw me off. But alas, all is well, I still thoroughly enjoy that meal!
     After dinner, a group of us headed to the pubs that Houston suggested. A lot of people from our group came along, but we eventually had to split up because the pubs just aren't big enough to fit everyone. We went to several places, 2 of which I remember from my first visit to town. I really enjoy spending time with this group of girls, and we had such a fun night out together!
     The next morning we woke up and had a great English breakfast in the hotel. For those of you who know me, you know that (when I wake up) breakfast is my favorite meal. No, we are not served my all-time favorite meal of chocolate chip pancakes-but we are served a lot of wonderful things that start the day off right. We also get an English breakfast every morning in Oxford which is spectacular as well, but every version is different. The English breakfast includes bacon, sausage, sautéed mushrooms, eggs, hash browns, tomatoes, and baked beans. Simply delicious. Like I said, it got my day started off right.
     After breakfast, we had a group tour of Canterbury Cathedral, one of the central things in Canterbury. It is a site of the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Beckett's, murder in 1170. Since then, it has become a pilgrimage site for Christians all over the world. It has been associated as a place of healing, part of the reason for its draw of pilgrims. I went on a tour of the cathedral when I was last in Canterbury, but I loved getting to see it again. You always learn something new when you revisit a place like that. The cathedral was built (for the first time) in 597AD. I know that I have harped on the age of things in England, but this really blew my mind. It is almost incomprehensible that something could have roots that are almost 1500 years old. I say that it was built for the first time then because it was burned down and destroyed several times between then and now. Even though the building we saw yesterday may be quite new.....built in the 12th century.....it doesn't take away the holiness and history from the roots of the original church of 597AD. There were several times when I was quite overwhelmed by the sheer powerfulness of that lasting faith. We were in the cathedral touring during the 11:00am prayer for all British soldiers, past and present, and it was so sacred. There was something very powerful about that place. I am so glad that I got to go back and experience the Canterbury Cathedral once again!
Brantley, Amanda, and me in front of the Old Buttermarket, one of Houston's suggestions.

In the Quire of Canterbury Cathedral

The tomb of King Henry IV. He wanted to be buried near Thomas Beckett,
whose body has since been removed!

Kasey, Amanda, Brantley, Natalie and me outside of Canterbury Cathedral
     Once the tour ended, we had about an hour to eat then get back on the bus to head to Dover Castle. A few of us ended up eating at a restaurant Orlando Bloom owns! Did I mention that he is from Canterbury??? It was delicious and put us in a great mood for the next let of our trip. Altogether, though the visit was short, I LOVED getting to see Canterbury again. It is a quaint little town! So glad I got to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment